Preserve Monroe SC 12-15-14


MINUTES
DEC. 15, Pipeline Coalition Meeting
Union library
6:00 pm

ATTENDANTS
Joe Chasnoff, Stephen Miller, Roseanna Sacco, Jill Fisher, Bob Chamberlain, Beth Covington, Susie Henritz, Jon McLaughlin, Rich Mundell, Robin Wright, Howdy Henritz, Nancy Bouldin, Laurie Ardison

AGENDA and DISCUSSION
1) JOE:
Two approaches to pipeline resistance: local and regional.
A- Local ( Rights Based Ordinance) CELDF contact, Ben Price will participate in a conference call with anyone interested. Potential dates are: 12/18, 12/19, 12/22, 1/5, 1/6. ( PLEASE LET ROSEANNA KNOW YOUR PREFERRED DATE)
( Roseanna, what time will the call be?)
Donnie Evans and Stephen Miller are interested.
B- Regional: (contacts) Patty and Dino Klepos, Cooks Run, close to proposed MVP. They have contacts with Blacksburg residents, VT faculty, have an organic company and experience with blocking a nuclear storage facility in Wyoming. Their recommendation:
Ideally, the entire corridor could hire a DC law firm, using collected monies for this purpose, to do research re: the reality that a private corporation endeavors to make substantial money through an effort that has nothing to do with public need or eminent domain.

Mark Blumenstein suggested to Joe that we hold a corridor meeting to develop strategies as well as obtaining local participation to address local issues.
Suggested website: preservethenrv.com. ( hosted by Will and Angela Stanton from Giles)
You can access a MVP resistance series of 5 videos made by Mario Colmano and his wife, Frieda.
Their documentary is ongoing and focuses on the struggle.
( hopefully they’ll meet with Laurie and Nancy on Thurs. 12/18)

2) STEPHEN:
A- Jerry Pitzer will make his presentation in laymens’ terms at the Jan. 8th mtg.
B- Stephen urges that the Board of Ed put pressure on CC re: pipeline opposition.
He will pursue his recommendation with a letter to Board of Ed.
Howdy pointed out that the Bd. Of Ed.stands to receive 78% from tax revenues.
Noted: Dixie Hoke( FOTSC) is involved with school syst.
C- Peterstown town council passed a resolution in opposition to the pipeline; copies to be sent to CC, FERC, POLITICIANS
D- JMHS has available to us for the Jan. 8 meeting: screen, power point, laptop. BRING FLASH DRIVES
E- Drs. Olson and Peters (Princeton) are very opposed to the proposed MVP. Dr. Olson has reached out to Evan Jenkins and received a prompt response; Jenkins is reviewing MVP issues.
He has also contacted Manchin, no response thus far.
Mike Lively, Peterstown Mayor, is also very opposed to the proposed pipeline.

3) ROSEANNA: DETAILS FOR Jan. 8 MEETING

JAN.8, JMHS 7:00pm 2 hr. Mtg.

Stephen will be the emcee for the meeting
Laurie will keep time

IIntroduction
Elise Keaton (“what MVP is”, highly refuted EQT assertions such as jobs, etc. danger to community)

Three major points to develop:
1- Loss of Water
Presenters: Dale McCutcheon,( fragility of land) Jerry Pitzer,(PSD); possibly statement from well-head protection
2- Potential Hazards
Presenters: someone from Host Farms ( Joe will contact Pat Heister. If he is unavailable, Joe will see if he can get slides and a brief presentation that can be presented ….by Stephen?)
3) Loss of Property Values
Presenter: Julie Archer( landowner rights, anecdotal situations with strong emotional impact) Jane Kersey

+/- 45 min. Q&A period

HOWDY: FOLLOW UP WITH JULIE, DALE, WELLHEAD PROTECTION

JOE: FOLLOW UP WITH PAT HEISTER

STEPHEN: FOLLOW UP WITH KERSEYS

STRONG-VISUAL-POWER- POINTS-URGED!!!
ADDITIONAL MEETING ITEMS
–Student participation to be explored further ROSEANNA
–42 inch, 20 inch hoops to be to demonstrate pipeline sizes RICH
–check into real time radio coverage of meeting JILL
— documentary coverage/ talking points ( show documentary segment?) by Marino and Frieda LAURIE
–refutation of FTI report re: county tax revenue ( possible timeline of effort to get to the truth) HOWDY
–present list of counties/groups with visual representation-screen presentation (LAURIE to work on getting visuals, WHO to get them into format?)
–provide list of things to do( I.e. letters to FERC) BETH, COULD YOU DO THIS?
–Set up tables outside auditorium
–make up programs with speakers, etc.
–sign in, need sheets and clipboards
–dispelling of myths
–mailing of postcard invitations county wide on Dec. 27( Sat. after Xmas) ROSEANNA
–radio announcements re: meeting. To  broadcast for 2 wks. before event
12/24-1/7 HOWDY

4) JON:
38 new NO PIPELINE signs have been made; they’ll be shared between Summers and Monroe counties.
Signs continue to be stolen. Police aware. Critter cam??
Placing of signs to be addressed at Peterstown meeting 12/16 STEPHEN
Small, wearable signs for meeting attendees Jan8 SUSIE

5) ROBIN
Checks for signs and packets ROBIN
Fundraising for $$ to do county-wide meeting invitation mailings JOE and ROBIN
Management of SWTO treasury in Robin’s absence: SUSIE and HOWDY

6) NANCY
Cost of packets ( supplies, printing, postage)  670.01.
ICWA will split cost with SWTO
County wide website appropriate at this time. Judy Azulay will create this site off the ICWA website, suggested domain name: Preserve Monroe WV : to be consistent with BREDL ( see next agenda item/ Laurie)
There will be links to other county group sites but this will be the representative site involved with pipeline resistance/opposition. Each county along the proposed pipeline corridor is encouraged to create one such site for sharing information, strategizing around pipeline issues.
View on ICWA site now.
Creation of general pool of contacts using lists from ICWA, SWTO, SUFM. Spread sheets with demographics
NANCY

7) LAURIE
BREDL: Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League discussed. Umbrella org. providing networking opportunities, education, passive resistance training, legal defense, strategizing across county and state lines.
Decision made to pursue membership.
Follow up with Mara Robbins LAURIE

Any corrections/clarifications greatly appreciated!

NEXT MEETING: MON., 12/22
5:30 PM  UNION LIBRARY
DOWNSTAIRS

NANCY WILL GET KEY ( can pick up on Fri.)

ROSEANNA WILL DO MINUTES AND TRACK MEETING ISSUES.

Leave a Reply