This is Aviagen’s second attempt to receive a permit required to operate at Site #30. While Aviagen has been forced to make changes to its application, the geology and threats to the water at Site #30 remain the same as they were last year.
SITE #30 PERMIT APPLICATION MATERIALS
Click the following links to see some of the comments submitted by Monroe County residents and ICWA during the previous comment periods
- Map of Aviagen Sites in Monroe County.
- Some Important Water-Related Issues to Raise re Site #30 Reissuance Application
- Comments on Site #30 – Appalmad on behalf of ICWA 12-30-22
- ICWA Supplemental Comments on Site #30 12-31-22
- Summary of the concerns raised by ICWA and Monroe County residents at the October 28, 2021 public hearing for Site #31 (Importantly, Aviagen’s threats to the water and quality of life on Peters Mountain are the same for Site #30 and #31)
Resources from the Socially Responsible Agriculture Project (SRAP):
- West Virginia CAFO Guide — SRAP’s CAFO Guides outline the laws and regulations that apply to industrial livestock operations in each state. [SRAP] created the guides to help impacted communities protect themselves by navigating regulatory processes, engaging policymakers and regulators, and holding CAFOs accountable for noncompliance with state or federal laws.
- Animal Operations and Residential Property Values — by John A. Kilpatrick, PhD, MAI, published in The Appraisal Journal (Winter 2015).
HOW TO COMMENT
The DEP comment period for the Zenith Site #30 permit is open until 5 p.m. on Friday, October 6, 2023. Comments can be submitted via email to Rick.D.Adams@wv.gov or regular mail to:
ATTN: Rick Adams, Permitting
West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
Division of Water and Waste Management
601 57th St. SE
Charleston, WV 25304-2345
Comments can also be submitted via email to Rick.D.Adams@wv.gov
Comments should include: your name, address, and telephone number and a statement of the nature of the issues raised. You should reference Application No. WVR110985Aviagen Turkeys, Inc., Zenith Site #30. Comments submitted via mail must be received no later than Friday, October 6th.
For questions contact DEP at 304-926-0499.